Our #WCW is none other than our very own Kyndafly gal, Renata. If you haven't heard yet, she was featured on the My Black is Beautiful site for her daring use of color! Check out the post here, http://on.fb.me/1W94RdS!
Packing for a quick trip? Like leaving today come back tomorrow type of trip? Well, we're here to help you pack light and still manage have everything you want (and need). And of course, you'll have a few options, because fly ladies (and gents) gotta have options. So, as I prepare for my very own whirlwind jaunt fours hours to the south (what up STL!), here are some very helpful tips for what to bring.
- Commit to no more than three pair of shoes, and really three pair may be one too many. Bring a comfy, casual pair (sneakers) and a dressy pair (stylish, yet versatile). Having a versatile dressy option will allow you to wear it with multiple looks, should your time on this trip include a few events.
- That brings me to clothing options. Separate the trip into two parts, travel and events. For time spent traveling, be it by plane, train or automobile, think comfort. Joggers, hoodies, t-shirts, leggings, etc. And since this trip clocks in at less than 48 hours, you will likely be able to wear the same travel clothes on the trip home. For your events, bring two bottoms (pants/skirts) and a few shirt options. Don't forget pj's, socks, undies!
- Lastly, you'll need your toiletries and accessories, which can likely be packed in the same bag. Pack the essentials and you should be good to go!
Now all you have to do is muster up the energy to enjoy every minute of your super quick getaway! Happy travels!
Ladies, ladies, ladies, we need to have a talk. I want you to really pay attention to the words you’re about to read. Leggings are not appropriate for work. I repeat, leggings are not appropriate for work. Here’s the thing; that should really be a no brainer, but the way many companies have relaxed dress code standards, leggings have slipped in under the radar, offering obvious comfort in the workplace.
And comfort at work isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but we as a people, or gender have pushed it too far. Alas, I’m here to help! Because, there’s really a simple rule to help you decide if your clothes are work appropriate. If you’d wear it to the club or gym, then you shouldn’t wear it to work, unless of course you work at a club or gym. But, you know, I’m an understanding person and can see how we got to this place. We work hard, put in long hours and some days getting dressed in the morning is more of a challenge then we’d like. And it can be so easy to throw on your favorite, comfy pair of leggings and keep it moving. But, we HAVE to fight the urge, for so many reasons. The most important being that leggings do not look professional. No matter if you are allowed to wear jeans on the daily (I am), leggings as pants just don't work for the office. And really, this Chicago weather just doesn’t really accommodate wearing leggings, because there’s no way you not freezing in your leggings as pants ensemble. So, I beg of you to challenge yourself in the mornings and rely on actual pants and skirts and dresses to inspire a work look that will not only ensure you are hitting high level chic-ness, but also gives you the confidence you need to tackle your work day!
…where we sift through everything so you don’t have to.
Because we know just how busy life can be, we’ve taken it upon ourselves to provide you with recommendations of everything we think you should know! This time we’re gonna put you on to some podcasts you should definitely be listening to. And if you are anything like me, you’ll find them to be a great way to get through the workday (just figure out a good rotation to balance out the week)!
- The Read - If you love catching up on celeb shenanigan’s and current events chock-full of humor, you’ll love The Read. I can barely get through an episode without cracking up laughing, which can make it awkward at work…but totally worth the laughs. Kid Fury and Crissles also dish out advice in the “Listener Letters” segment, before each giving out a read of their very own. After one listen, you’re guaranteed to feel like they’re your new BFFs.
- His&Hers - The His&Hers podcast features my two favorite ESPN personalities/journalists, Michael Smith & Jemele Hill. While they do touch on sports, the best part of the podcast is when they hit on real life situations, from the serious to the silly. The success of the podcast led to the TV show iteration (formally Numbers Never Lie), which is also available in podcast form. Sit back and enjoy commentary you can totally relate to.
- Brilliant Idiots - This podcast features radio personality, Charlemagne The God and comedian Andrew Schulz, who are also both cast members of the MTV show “Guy Code”. Their hilarious take on life will either have you disagreeing wholeheartedly with them, or jumping on their bandwagon, as they prove each week they are truly Brilliant Idiots.
- Bad 4 Business - Jerry Ferrara of Entourage and Think Like A Man fame dives into the world of podcasts with this entertaining gem. Jerry hits on sports, family, video games and of course gives tons of Entourage tidbits, what's not to love? He's also had a slew of great interviews with Entourage cast members and friends he’s met on his Hollywood journey, proving that this podcast isn’t Bad 4 Business after all.
- Fan Bros - The Fan Bros (The voice of the urban geek) have a few podcasts, but my fave is when they do recaps of the best TV shows Sunday night has to offer. If you enjoy an honest review of your favorite show, this is the podcast for you. And while you there, you can check out what else they have to offer. There’s no better way to kick off Monday morning than listening to hear their take on The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones and others.
You can check out all of these on iTunes or in the links provided to stream online. Enjoy!